6 Star-Studded Facts About The Color Purple
By Kristen Day
Chances are, you’ve heard of The Color Purple. But how well do you know these famous facts about the show?
- The Color Purple made its Broadway debut in 2005. The producers included Oprah Winfrey and Quincy Jones.
- Before ever becoming a musical, Alice Walker first published The Color Purple novel in 1982. It was later adapted for film and directed by Stephen Spielberg in 1985.
- American Idol’s Jennifer Hudson and Orange Is the New Black’s Danielle Brooks both had their Broadway debut in the show’s 2015 revival.
- Renee Elise Goldsberry did not throw away her shot! The actress starred in the original Broadway casts of both The Color Purple and Hamilton.
- Broadway newbie Cynthia Erivo starred as Celie in the 2015 Revival and later won the Tony for Best Actress in 2016.
- The cast also earned a Daytime Emmy for “Outstanding Musical Performance in a Daytime Program” on the Today Show in 2017. Watch their breathtaking performance:
Now that you’re all caught up, catch the award-winning Broadway experience on November 3rd at Purdue!