6 Star-Studded Facts About The Color Purple
August 22, 2019
By Kristen Day
Chances are, you’ve heard of The Color Purple. But how well do you know these famous facts about the show?
- The Color Purple made its Broadway debut in 2005. The producers included Oprah Winfrey and Quincy Jones.
- Before ever becoming a musical, Alice Walker first published The Color Purple novel in 1982. It was later adapted for film and directed by Stephen Spielberg in 1985.
- American Idol’s Jennifer Hudson and Orange Is the New Black’s Danielle Brooks both had their Broadway debut in the show’s 2015 revival.
- Renee Elise Goldsberry did not throw away her shot! The actress starred in the original Broadway casts of both The Color Purple and Hamilton.
- Broadway newbie Cynthia Erivo starred as Celie in the 2015 Revival and later won the Tony for Best Actress in 2016.
- The cast also earned a Daytime Emmy for “Outstanding Musical Performance in a Daytime Program” on the Today Show in 2017. Watch their breathtaking performance:
Now that you’re all caught up, catch the award-winning Broadway experience on November 3rd at Purdue!