5 Reasons Why A Bronx Tale is the Musical You Need Right Now
By Kristen Day – Marketing Intern
There are a million reasons to see a Broadway show. From the choreography to spectacular songs, and heartwarming stories, Purdue Convos’ upcoming musical A Bronx Tale has it all. The show is based on Italian-American playwright and filmmaker Chazz Palminteri’s childhood. Growing up in a rough neighborhood of the Bronx in the 1960s inspired him to retell this tale of loyalty, love, and family above all on Broadway. Haven’t got your tickets yet? Here are five more reasons why A Bronx Tale is the musical for you:
- Even if you’ve seen the movie starring Robert de Niro or Chazz Palminteri’s one-man-show that shares its name, the Broadway experience takes the story in a new direction. The tale follows Calogero, nicknamed C, as he must choose between a budding romance, a life of crime, and making his father proud — all with a musical twist. Plus, it’s based on a true story!
- The show has been compared to Broadway hits Jersey Boys and West Side Story. It expertly combines the best parts of the two: a strong narrative, nostalgic musical influences, energetic choreography, and forbidden romance. If you love those, you’ll love this one too.
- A Bronx Tale is a blast from the past. A vintage New York City serves as a backdrop and cast member in this period-driven piece. It’ll have you missing home and celebrating the places that made you.
- The creative minds behind this show are stars in their own right. The role of Jane was originated by Hamilton original Broadway cast member, Ariana DeBose and the music was penned by Disney legend Alan Menken of The Little Mermaid.
- On top of all that, the music is phenomenal. Check out this top-tapping track from the musical:
Ready to step into the world of A Bronx Tale? Catch the Broadway hit at Elliott Hall of Music on Wednesday, April 1st at 7:30PM. Get your tickets today!